October 19 – 29, 2010
Along Italy’s Tyrrhenian Sea lies the Amalfi Coast, a World Heritage site of cliffside pastel villages and modern-day cities steeped in ancient Roman history. Delve into the fascinating mythology of renowned archaeological sites and discover the gems of Naples and Capri with local expert Federico Poole as your guide. Exclusive tours of Pompeii and Herculaneum provide access to sites not generally open to the public. At Mount Vesuvius a local expert unravels the volcano’s underground mysteries, while a private tour of the collections at the National Archaeological Museum of Naples enriches your understanding of past cultures. You’ll watch local chefs twirl dough as they make the traditional pizza of the region, enjoy time to explore towns along the Amalfi Coast, and learn how the spectacular cliffs, turquoise seas, and rumbling volcanoes bewitched Virgil and Caesar.
- This tour is one of our Smithsonian Journeys Signature tours and is designed for small groups of 24 Smithsonian travelers. Throughout the tour, you will be accompanied by one of our exceptional Smithsonian Study Leaders, all top experts in their fields.
- As an archaeologist and a resident of southern Italy, Federico Poole will bring special insight to your journey. Federico has worked on a variety of archaeological sites in the Campania region and specializes in the humanities as a translator.
- Take an exclusive tour of Pompeii, including sites not generally open to the public.
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Roman Antiquities Collection at the National Archaeological Museum in Naples.
- Meet with an expert for a guided tour of ancient Stabiae, a largely unexplored archaeological site of luxury villas that were destroyed by Vesuvius.
- Gain insight into the moods of Vesuvius as you gaze down into the crater of the volcano with a geological expert.